Welcome...

Pull up a chair. Not that one! It's still damp from the drink that got tipped all over it. That's it, get comfy and we can get started on our chat. I'll just put the kettle on...

Thursday 17 July 2008

Little jar of home


I took this photograph today for my Day2Day post. This is my little jar of home. I lived in San Francisco for a few years and, although it was a marvellous adventure, there were things I missed. No, I don't mean Marmite and decent teabags, my mum snuck them over in her suitcase several times a year, along with Sudocrem, vast quantities of Cadbury's and Oxo (yes, really, Oxo!). I missed people and I missed places. For my birthday, my niece and nephew (who were about 6 and 8 at the time) walked along my favourite beach in Norfolk, a place I where I have spent a lot of time, collecting pebbles. They put them in the jar and sent them over with my mum. I cried then and the memory of it still makes me cry now.


My little jar of home lives on my kitchen windowsill and I see it often during my day. Now, having lived with it in San Francisco, it also reminds of the beach there. For a small jar, it holds a lot of memories.

1 comment:

Bigbluebed said...

It is a beautiful present. I love pebbles. Mary keeps briging them home for me. I must find a lovely jar like yours, to put them in.